Spam (madbodger) wrote,

  • Mood:

Plumbing project

Out in front of our house, there is an underground hose bibb that came with the house. We've used it for years, but last year, the valve became progressively less willing to shut off completely. We finally wrestled it off, but were loathe to try it again this year. So fizzygeek suggested I hook up the old one on the side of the house. I finally attacked it a few weeks ago.

The existing one was a galvanized run that hadn't been hooked back up when I installed the new plumbing. It was in bad enough shape I decided to replace the whole run. The first order of business was to unscrew the old valve. I took my big pipe wrench (affectionately known as The Persuader) and put on the pressure. The spigot crumpled, crushed spigot but it wasn't going to come loose without breaking some of my exterior shingles or worse. So I chucked a metal-cutting grit blade into my circular saw and simply sawed it off. sawed-off pipe Then I sawed the interior run in two. interior pipe, cut through Unfortunately, there still wasn't room to remove the elbow and associated pipe. I couldn't cut it all the way through, but I figured if I sawed at an angle as close as I could get, I'd remove part of the offending threads, shake the whole thing pretty thoroughly, and heat things up, hopefully enough that I could unscrew the remaining coupler. This tactic actually worked, and I was able to remove all the remains of the original run (pictured here, along with The Persuader). removed plumbing

The next order of business was to assemble the new run. As there wasn't room in the wall for a frost-free spigot, I decided to add a shutoff valve with a drain down in the basement. I also wanted to put a drop-ear elbow near the new bibb to protect the pipes from any strain from hoses pulling on it. The folks at the big chain home improvement store informed me that ¾" sweat-to-threaded drop-ear elbows didn't exist. However, I found one at the local independent hardware store, along with a ¾ galvanized street elbow and some pipe dope. I went with a ball valve hose bibb, to avoid all the problems with ordinary cheap stem valves. ball valve hose bibb

Assembling the whole thing required a little forethought. The run through the basement extended along a long crawlspace about 8" high, where I couldn't easily solder pipes. So I made up a short pipe and an elbow on the end of a long pipe, soldered it, and then we maneuvered it into place. Next was to assemble the run inside the wall. new pipes inside wall After that, I screwed and soldered that bit together. soldered pipes Then came the scary part of cutting into the water line coming into the house and splicing in the new run. Aside from having to juggle everything while standing on slippery mud, it went pretty well. basement plumbing There was a bit of a surprise when I first turned the water back on, as I had removed the drain cap from the new valve while I was soldering it, and had forgotten to put it back on.

There was, of course, one last surprise in store for us. Once we had everything hooked up, and attached a hose and sprayer to try it out, the sprayer chose that moment to blow all its seals! leaking sprayer


  • Turntable reminiscences

    My first record player was a cheap red and white plastic affair with which I could play my stack of bright yellow 78s. It was the kind that had a…

  • Fixing a Kodak Carousel slide projector

    I was going through old family slides with the old family slide projector and noticed the focus motor was running continuously. I did some quick…

  • Old-style Polaroid photography

    One day, fizzgig and I were shopping at a knickknack store and found chromed resin casts of old cameræ. We remarked how they would fit our…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened